Saturday, January 15, 2011

Practicing What You Preach

As I got ready to come back to work after having my baby girl, I wanted to do something to bring her into the library with me.  I've been growing her own little library at home, and I was most excited to start checking out books from our school library to read with her.  That's when I came up with this idea: to share what books I'm reading at home with my little girl.

At first, when you are reading to a newborn, it seems a little silly, but a couple of recent articles in School Library Journal have shown it to be a very important part of language development.  Not only that, language development is directly related to literacy and a child's own ability to read later down the road.  Babies start learning to read the day that they're born!

I love recommending books to kids and being an advocate for reading what you love.  I also want to share the importance of giving kids positive experiences with books: I try to do this as kids visit the library during the week, and I hope that you will try to find opportunities to share books with kids as well!  So here you'll find Ellie's recommended reading, and maybe a few musings on library-related things.  Happy Reading!

Check out these articles about reading with babies and early literacy!

The Amazing Brain

It's Never Too Early...

No comments:

Post a Comment